Pages

Professionalism

Saturday, March 10, 2012
I know sometimes people wonder why it takes me so long to release my products. Especially when they see my friends and other brand owners, releasing their products at break-neck speed. While I can only speak for a couple of them, I feel like they are just rushing through their processes just make that profit. They don't really offer anything to their customers except a t-shirt, a hoodie, or a crew neck sweater. There's no feeling of worth, or any sense of being a part of the brand's own culture, etc. It's just, hey here are some new pieces, buy them now!  


There's no sense of community or belonging. Whenever I buy clothing from a certain brand, I'm buying it because I feel like I'm a part of that brand's culture and identity. For example, my favorite brand, Cashletes, when I buy their stuff, not only are their designs really awesome, but I feel like I fit in their culture, the culture of making money and trying to be successful. Same with Ralph Lauren, I don't buy their stuff just because it's Polo, I'm buying their stuff because of the culture around it, their identity, the country club life, the yacht life, elegance.

Same with Wiz Khalifa, even though he's mainly in music, it's still the same. It's the Taylor Gang identity, people listen to Wiz Khalifa because they feel like they're part of his movement, his own crew, Taylor Gang. He created that, the look, the lifestyle, a lil bit slang.

That's why it's taking me a while to roll out the new brand. I'm not just doing 'clothing' anymore, I'm selling a brand, I'm selling a lifestyle, and most importantly I'm selling invites into a culture. I'm engaging heavily in twitter, and once the website launches, I'll be on the site's blog 24/7 with updates on the brand and my travels. It's a thing called Professionalism. 


I feel like, people will respect my company for the effort we put in to this. Because, when someone or a team puts in a ton of effort into creating a product, it's very hard to accuse them of trying to make a quick buck. Hard to accuse them of trying to take your money. It's the ones that pop up out of nowhere that people give the side eye, because they know those pop up folks are always out to make a quick buck and bounce.

Definitely not trying to make a quick buck, that's not longevity, I need that staying power.

No comments:

Post a Comment