Pages

Having Focus Seems To Be Less Common These Days...

Saturday, March 10, 2012
Do People Even Have Focus anymore?


Not to brag or sound like I'm most perfect person in the world (because I am the opposite of perfect), but a lot of times I feel like I am the most focused person around. For example, when I was trying to do "business" with DWS, I swear I was the only one that was focused all those times. For example, whenever I'm really trying to brainstorm with him and really get some ideas out on finding a direction, he was busy glued to his laptop, looking at other peoples' labels and brands. It always stuck in my head, all those times and it definitely made start questioning him early on. No focus. And what it looked like keepingupwithjonesitis, but only business form.

I have an even greater example, I had a client that I was designing for. It was a Company Identity Development, which is, of course, fancy entrepreneur lingo for creating a logo for a company. I mean no disrespect to the owner of it, but geezus la-weezus, this guy had no focus whatsoever. It was like, one moment, he wants a fancy elegant font with some environmental type objects surrounding it, then another moment, he wants it to be more of a fun casual, animated type of logo, then he wants a South Beach style logo, it was just horrendous. I wasn't get paid much for it neither, mainly because we were associates of the same company from back in the day, so I cut him a deal. Well, I cut him a deal before I knew he'd flip flop so much. No Focus. That type of flip flopping would have cost him thousands of dollars and I should have run a bill on him, just to let him know what the deal was. It was crazy.

I forgot where I read it, or who wrote it, but those without focus usually don't end up as successful as those who are focused. I'll admit, I wasn't focused last year, I was all over the place and I knew I was, I just thought I could wing it, like an idiot. These two examples, definitely teaches a lesson on focus. For one, lack of focus just hurts you and your business, because those who you encounter will just be annoyed at your randomness. Potential clients and partners will avoid you like the plague if you're not focused. I definitely learned that lesson.

For example, I'm having a website being built right now, and whenever I talk to the guy whose part of the team building my site, I make sure I have a focus and a certain style that I want, because all of that changing mind and flip flopping is just a waste of time and money if it ever gets that far. I've never been an indecisive person anyway. It got very annoying dealing with those who are. Believe me, I won't deal with those types ever again.

No comments:

Post a Comment