Pages

Worst Manager I've Ever Had

Wednesday, July 31, 2013
Worst Manager Ever

Worst Manager I've Ever Had

Worst Manager Ever

Okay so I recently quit my good paying job to start my second start-up. To be honest, it was like finishing a very, very cushy prison sentence. Don't get me wrong, the job was awesome, great pay, awesome benefits, deals every where: Hotels, computers, Restaurants, Clothing, everything. The only downside to it was my manager. We'll call her SB, for sake of some anonymity. As a side note, I recently looked her up on LinkedIn and saw that she has an MBA from a diploma mill pretending to be a college. You know the type of school where as long as you pay, you're for sure going to get your degree.

Anyway, this manager was awful. Possibly the worst manager I've ever had in my life and I've had some pretty awful managers in my time. I remember like 3 weeks in a row, when I'd sign into my computer to start my day, I'd instantly get an Instant Message from her. It never failed, it was like clockwork. I'd get IM'd from her "Hello", I'd reply "good morning". Then comes the barrage of questions and demands "what's up with this file? What's up with that file? You're late by 10 seconds, please come see me". I'd get so fucking frustrated, my eyes would feel like burning hot. She'd piss me off so much sometimes that I'd take my hour lunch break early just to get the corporate gym. She was like a nagging girlfriend

Looking back I should have seen the signs when I first got put on her team, if you could call it that. We had an initial meeting to introduce ourselves and get to know each other before going out into the trenches. When it would come time for her to introduce her self, I remember the sentence "I don't micro manage, I'm a pretty chill person". LOLWAT?! Yeah fucking right, she was micro managing like there was a cash prize in it for her. It was almost hilarious at times. I'd get so many IM's from her that I'd couldn't help but just ignore her. I mean I was on the phone with other associates in different departments, on the phone with my clients, or composing very important and information-sensitive e-mails. Those micro-managing IM's were a distraction, I mean if one pops up while writing an e-mail, I would forget to attach the document, or I would have plenty typos, all kinds of BS that would make me look unprofessional.

People like her shouldn't have jobs, point, blank, period. On my second start-up, when I start hiring staff, conducting interviews, I will specifically state that if I catch you micro managing or making some of my other employees uncomfortable, I will fire you. For the things that I've been through with managers like her, I definitely won't tolerate it. I've managed before, I ran teams, I've built departments from scratch, then proceeded to fill that department with and train over 300 people, so I do know what it's like to be on the managing end. It's not that hard. You're dealing with people, grown folks, not children, and even then, children don't deserve to be hounded like that. I really sincerely hope that SB does not get put into another job where she's leading people. She's an awful leader, an awful manager, but not an awful person. She's a good person, just when it comes to business, she gives no damn about you as an employee and associate. None. That's just how her cookie crumbles I suppose, but it does not mean that people have to deal with that. I believe she needs to get knocked back down a notch and work as a normal wage slave, not the whipper.

No comments:

Post a Comment