Pages

Closing My Clothing Business Down and Starting My Web and App Company

Friday, August 2, 2013

Closing the Clothing Business Down and Starting My Web and App Company

So I finally bid farewell to my first baby, my first commercial creation and embark on a journey that I've sort of always wanted to trek, but never had the balls and know-how to: The Tech World. Web and App to be specific. It feels extremely good to be honest, the clothing industry has, without a better term, pissed me off royally and has annoyed me to no end. Not my customers really, but just the whole industry. In my own opinion and sentiment, I feel the clothing industry is just super high school and sophomoric in the way they treat business. It's left a bad taste in my mouth. I feel everyone is just trying to be too cool for school and creativity and innovation has just been thrown out the window. It's all about the cash and looking cool to your customers, oh wait, sorry, your fans. Clothing has become eerily similar to the rap industry. Showing off your "bands" and your rented exotic cars and really shitting on the same people you're selling your product to.

It's not all bad though, I've dealt with and have had the pleasure of doing business with some really cool people in the biz. There are quite a few who are standing out and trying to stand out from the rest, but unfortunately they are few and far between. It's my decision to shut this thing down, and I feel nothing but positive vibes from this. funnily enough, even though I am shutting down my own clothing business, doesn't mean that I've actually left the business entirely, because, believe it or not, I own 20% of another clothing company that I am a little involved with. Mostly on the creative and consultant side, but still I own 20% of it. It's just that I don't want to deal with this industry on my own accord anymore, I've found something that actually solves people's needs and problems

You think I jumped into this without research? *laugh*, fortunately, no. Just like everything else, I researched this business extensively and am still researching this business. What I like best about this business is that is a slight stronger barrier to entry than clothing. See, in clothing, anyone who can draw or has Photoshop™ experience, can just start printing shirts and sweaters off the bat. With app and web, unless you have the money in the bank to pay a developer (like me) or have learned how to code and program (like me), you can't really just start putting out apps and websites and services off the bat like that.

Most importantly, there are serious needs that need to be fulfilled and problems that need to be solved. I mean there's millions of coders and programmers in this world, but guess what? Not all of them are out to really fulfill needs and solve problems. Many of them are just looking to work a good paying 9 to 5 job. Because there's always a demand for coders and programmers, from start-ups to big corporations, coders and programmers aren't necessarily out to leave a positive impact on society's lives. Many of them just want a good ass job so that they can pay off that student debt, get locked into some bullshit-ass mortgage, and live their merry lives.

With clothing, it's like, even those who DON'T know how to design think that they can just start a line and be rich. It's really super annoying. It gets me paid sure, for helping the clueless get started with a fee, but it's still annoying because they're just flooding society with crap. Where's the fulfillment, where's the solutions to problems? People forget that there's still a need for Direct-to-Garment printers, Silk Screeners, and even designers themselves. But no, everyone wants their own line of clothing. It's really vain and narcissistic. Which is funny at times because, for some of them, hire a designer to do all the creative stuff for them but still try to vain and narcissistic with the products that they themselves didn't even create.

bottom line is, I'm shutting my own brand down, I no longer want to be part of the vain and Narcissistic crowd, I want to create a product that make a difference in peoples' lives, specifically, fellow business owners. I want to create something that will solve someone's problems and to hopefully generate revenue from it. Being a millionaire is nice, but it's not very high on my agenda, I know I will be a millionaire, so why be obsessed with it? I should be obsessed with creating a solid product that will help others. Plain and Simple. This society lacks the Thomas Edisons and George Washington Carvers of this generation, I want to be one of them, create something powerful dynamic that will change someone's life, atleast one person's life. I will still be wealthy, so no need to focus on wealth, that happens naturally when I create a solid product.

No comments:

Post a Comment